Yak Attack

A place to unwind and spend some time yakking.

Monday, March 27, 2006

lewlew's orangie goodness

Last week, Rosie, Tee and Zander were all sick with that nasty viral deal that's going around. They coughed. They ran fevers. Their throats felt like they'd been rubbed raw by sandpaper. That's what got to me. I can deal with coughs, sniffles and fevers, but there's not much I can do to make a seriously sore throat better. They were all groaning, "My throat hurtssssss," and I wanted to make it all better so life could resume its normal pace.

I do my best thinking in the shower, so while I bathed I had a eureka moment. I'd make them orange smoothies reminiscent of an Orange Julius (tm). After getting myself all put back together, I went into the kitchen and made the most kick-ass smoothie ever.

I puzzled over the milk element, since dairy products tend to make the phlegm folk more phlegmy. Milk is what gives the Julius its creamy goodness, however. It just so happens that I dig soy milk, vanilla soy milk in particular, so whilst the children of Lewville lounged in front of the TV eradicating a few brain cells, I slipped it into the mix. That was the magic ingredient, because my finished product could have been served to acne-troubled teens at the mall without them blinking an eye.

I don't measure as I cook, so what follows is the closest I can come to a recipe for my orange smoothie. Give it a whirl, and see what you come up with.

lewlew's orangie goodness(and sore throat fixer):
  • crushed ice
  • vanilla soy milk
  • orange juice
  • granny smith apple
  • green grapes
  • granulated sugar
Fill up your blender half way with crushed ice. Pour in the liquid-- I used 2 parts juice to 1 part soy milk. Wash and core the apple, then chop the apple into smaller pieces (do not peel); throw in a handful or two into the blender. Wash the grapes and throw a handful into the blender. Add 2 tablespoons, or so, of granulated sugar. Blend.

If the smoothie is too thick, add more liquid (keep in mind your ratio). Too thin, add more ice, apple and grape. Sweeten to taste; add more sugar if two tablespoons doesn't taste sweet enough. I like the fruit taste better, myself, so I didn't add a bunch of sugar.

Slush it into a glass and enjoy.

The kids loved it and it made a vast improvement in the nerve endings lining their esophagi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home