Yak Attack

A place to unwind and spend some time yakking.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Please don't knock me back to "blog on hiatus."

My poor, little, neglected blog! It's already the 10th of June, and my last post was on the 24th of May. Ack!

A few things-- our business is picking up more potential clients (yay!!!), so we've been busy quoting jobs, meeting with people, your basic schmoozing sort of thing. I tell you what-- I'm hungry here. I want to pick up a client by my own work, my own inititive, that I've been in overtime mode. It's on my mind all the time. In the past two weeks, the amount of times I've been driving on muscle memory, the times I've had to turn around and back track to my actual destination has been enormous. It would be so nice to get Lew out of the wage slave culture. And the bonus would be he couldn't tease me anymore about being the best money spender, instead of the best income provider =).

Last weekend I went on the last shakedown outing for our canoe adventure in Canada. We have 24 days to go before we leave. I came home with more confidence, tired muscles and numerous bruises. We did capsize and rescue drills, and I have a bruise on my thigh with a three inch diameter. I must have hit a paddle when I capsized, or smacked it extra hard when I swung my leg into the canoe to try and get back into it. My bruises are now a nice shade of yellowy-purple, so they are on the mend. We did six portages (without wheels), and I was whupped by the weekend's end. But, the memories of this trip should serve me well when I'm portaging with wheel support in Canada.

Now, I have to work on getting the weight down further in my backpack. My pack weighed 38 pounds, and that's still too heavy. Our leader, L, said it should be closer to 20 pounds, but before I put in any clothes, my pack, dry sacks, sleeping bag and thermarest weigh almost 17 pounds. I'm also bringing a chair (a highly recommended luxury for this trip). It weighs about 2 pounds, and was so lovely on our last outing. Those without a chair would look longingly at those with one, and beg with their eyes, "Please let me sit there for a minute. That looks so comfy. Pleeeaaassseeee."

I take Rosie in to see an endocrinologist next week. When I took her in for a physical, the concerns I had were more serious than I originally thought. I hope we'll know more after her visit to the specialist, rather than play more waiting games. She's been through two rounds of blood tests, other tests, blood pressure checks and so on. I've been trying to not think about it, but I have an over-active imagination.


At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Jack Brewster said...

So what is your line of work?

I haven't been reading forever (just off and on since Mark first linked to you) so if you've mentioned it before - sorry I missed it!

At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Morrigan said...

I was wondering what had happened to you!
Happy to hear that your canoe trip went well. Except for the bruises, that is.
Bright Blessing to you and especially to Rosie. Hope everything goes well.

At 6:26 PM, Anonymous sunni said...

Hope Rosie's okay! (And I think having an overactive imagination comes with the Mom territory ...)

At 9:08 PM, Blogger lewlew said...

Jack--- sorry for the big delay in replying. We own a print shop.

Morrigan and Sunni-- Rosie is doing okay, but we're going to check things out a bit further. I did not find the specialist I took her to, at her doctor's recommendation, to be particularly thorough.


Post a Comment

<< Home