Yak Attack

A place to unwind and spend some time yakking.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Music Meme-- Would you like to play?

When I work down at the shop, I think about music. It gets pretty noisy down there, so we usually don't have the radio on. We can't hear it well anyway. Or, the guy we share a space with has it on a country station, and I'm trying to block it out (sorry country folks-- not my genre).

While I was doing some monotonous stuff today, I thought about music and came up with a sort of meme. Sometimes I really like a bit of monotony because it gives my brain a chance to rest and meander a bit.

So, back to meme. I thought some other folks might like the meme I came up with. It isn't earth shattering; it's just about the music I enjoy. If you'd like to play along, copy and paste the meme to your blog, or even on the comments page, to share your choices. If you put it on your blog, would you mind sharing a link to it in the comments, so I can participate in the fun and read your answers?

Music Meme
* What 3 sad songs make you feel happy anyway? 1. Meet Virginia by Train 2. Santa Monica by Everclear 3. Date Rape by Sublime
*What is the silliest song you enjoy? 99 Dead Baboons by Tim Cavanagh
*What song are you almost embarrassed to admit you like? Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg
* Who put on the top three concerts you've ever seen? 1. Nina Hagen/X (she opened for X) 2. George Thorogood 3. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
*
What is the weirdest album you've ever owned? Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
*
What song gets your blood racing? Any ska song with a robust trombone section.
*If you have a favorite band from your region, who are they? Presidents of the United States of America
*
Name one song from the year you were born that you like: Hey Jude by the Beatles
*Name one song your whole family enjoys: Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
*Name one song that reminds you of a good friend: Stand and Deliver by Adam and the Ants

11 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What 3 sad songs make you feel happy anyway? 1.Della Brown by Queensryche 2. True Lies by Kenny Wayne Shepard and 3. Heratic by Soundgarden
*What is the silliest song you enjoy? Joker by Steve Miller Band.
*What song are you almost embarrassed to admit you like? Were not gonna take it! by Twisted Sister(the original "more cowbell" song)
* Who put on the top three concerts you've ever seen? 1. Alice in Chains 2. Iron Maiden 3. Heart
*What is the weirdest album you've ever owned? Mr. Bungle
*What song gets your blood racing? Animal by Nickleback
*If you have a favorite band from your region, who are they? Alice in Chains
*Name one song from the year you were born that you like: Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf
*Name one song your whole family enjoys: Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
*Name one song that reminds you of a good friend: Back in Black by AC/DC

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger lewlew said...

Junker's answers to the music meme. Thanks for playing along, Junker!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Though this list really dates me, it was fun to think about:

*What is the silliest song you enjoy? Eddie Koochie-kachie-kamma-toesinarra-toesinocah-samma-kamma-waukee Brown (though I learned it as Annie ... not Eddie)
*What song are you almost embarrassed to admit you like? Love and Marriage, sung by Frank Sinatra
* Who put on the top three concerts you've ever seen? Modern Jazz Quartet, Philadelphia Orchestra, Red Army Choir
*What is the weirdest album you've ever owned? Songs of the Humpback Whale
*What song gets your blood racing? Any song by the Red Army Choir
*Name one song from the year you were born that you like: Over the Rainbow, sung by Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz
*Name one song your whole family enjoys: Would You Like to Swing on a Star - I used to sing this to/with my kids when they were little and we were driving somewhere - I made up a lot of other lyrics

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger lewlew said...

What is the silliest song you enjoy? Eddie Koochie-kachie-kamma-toesinarra-toesinocah-samma-kamma-waukee Brown (though I learned it as Annie ... not Eddie) Lew knows a song from his time in scouts that sounds a little like this. I wonder if it is the same one. I like how he sings it =).

Red Army Choir I'm curious how you were able to see the Red Army Choir. Was it after the Soviet gov't crumbled? I looked them up on the wiki-- it sounds like their dance troupe is amazing. Did you see them too?

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Mark said...

The Red Army Choir was here (i.e., in the US) as part of "cultural exchanges" during the Cold War. I have an album. They travelled with an amazing dance troupe. Everywhere they went, they brought the house down. As both my parents were from the USSR, it must be something in my genes. :)

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger lewlew said...

There's much to be said for our genes, I think. I long for cool, green lush seasides or craggy areas. My roots are buried in the ancient, moss covered lands of Wales.

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my contribution: Ooooh, a Music Thread!.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger B.W. Richardson said...

And mine!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Gospazha said...

Here's mine.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger lewlew said...

I also wanted to thank you, Sunni, for playing along. I went to your blog to post a message, but Greymatter wouldn't let me post one =(.

It is hard to pick just a few songs. I enjoyed reading your selections. Lew posted a comment on your list, but he didn't mention how impressed he was you like Dream Theater, too.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you weren't able to comment, lewlew; a spambot attack led me to turn off comments for a while. They're back on for now, so you're welcome to cruise by and say whatever you like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home