Yak Attack

A place to unwind and spend some time yakking.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sunday's Non Sequitur

Tee spotted today's Non Sequitur comic. It's a repeat from a few years ago. I clipped it out back then, and have it hanging up on my bullentin board in my room as a reminder of those who are brave and valiant. It is my opinion that we must never forget those who've struggled before us, and it will help us be brave when our time comes to face oppression.

I'm a bit surprised that he remembered I have this particular comic hanging up. It's amazing, and hopeful, the things that our kids pick up through osmosis. I clip things out from time to time, and pin them up for the kids to see, but this is one of two that I've hung on to for years, and I've held on to them because they are meaningful to me. I'm encouraged that it means something to Tee as well.

4 Comments:

At 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really warms the heart when our kids pay attention to the things we are trying to teach them.
I hope that he remembers this always.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Mark said...

My guess is that our kids remember just about everything. I am always surprised when my "kids", now in their 30's, remind me of things that happened when they were 3 or 4.

Many years ago, a Canadian neurosurgeon, Wilder Penfield, found that when he electrically stimulated the cerebral cortex of patients about to undergo surgery, they remembered (or actually experienced) whole scenes from their past. This included smells, temperature and everything about the environment, including what was going on and how they felt about it.

We really have little information on how much is stored in our memory. It seems to be much more than we commonly suppose. The problem is access but maybe it's a good thing that access to old memories is often so difficult; we might be overwhelmed if everything from our past was easily brought to mind.

That's why I always have trouble remembering the name of the actor who played "Doc Brown" in the "Back to the Future" movies ..... oh, yeah, Christopher Lloyd. LOL.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Warren Bluhm said...

You might find this interesting: The paper I saw this in ran the first two panels and the last two panels and left out the middle part, with the little girl standing in front of the camp and the lengthy explanation of the Holocaust.

I wonder waddup with that?

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warren, I think it's the vastly lesser-known historical law in effect: Those who sanitize history are enabling its repeition. (It's lesser known because I just made it up.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home