Yak Attack

A place to unwind and spend some time yakking.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Protein Synthesis -- it's feelin' groovy

Rosie is taking Biology 100 this quarter at the local community college. Their current course of study involves protein synthesis. In her quest for knowledge, she ran across some groovy science videos.

For those who preached that interpretive dance and science didn't mix, Rosie showed me the video that proves such nay-sayers wrong.

It's 1971 at a little CA college called Stanford. Call them crazy kids-- hey, call them pioneers. These students stood for something; they were scientists. Watch them explain protein synthesis the only way the Age of Aquarious could, and do justice to such a biological subject.

By the way, can any readers enlighten me? What does, "All mimsy was mRNA and Protein chain outgrabe," mean? Fictitious bonus points to the reader(s) who can fill me on this mystic language.

For the Dude, Where's My Car generation, here's another interpretation of protein synthesis. Fans of Night at the Roxbury will thoroughly enjoy this production, even though they might not know what protein is, let alone that it can go through any type of synthesis process. Again, bonus points dear reader: this video contains my musical guilty pleasure. Name the guilty pleasure correctly, and I'll snail mail you a special prize printed by the company Lew and I own.

PS: What do you think of Initiator One and Two?

4 Comments:

At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

" Name the guilty pleasure correctly, and I'll snail mail you a special prize printed by the company Lew and I own."

Would you be a Styx fan?

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger lewlew said...

I am! I was looking for the name of the song, but I'll go ahead and declare you winner, since you are so close.

Send me a message, and we'll talk about getting you your prize mailed out.

Thank you for playing.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

What does, "All mimsy was mRNA and Protein chain outgrabe," mean? Fictitious bonus points to the reader(s) who can fill me on this mystic language.

I'm on dial-up at the moment so I can't see this in context, but I believe it is a reference of some sort to Jabberwocky.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've sent you a msg on TCF - must be having a brain fart this morning since I couldn't find a way to send you one through here.

Either way - Thanks!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home