Yak Attack

A place to unwind and spend some time yakking.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Lewis Carrol, blinded by science

Kirsten, my trusty blog friend from Enjoy Every Sandwich, pointed me in the correct direction when she suggested Jabberwocky as the source of the whimsical speech that accompanied the Protein Synthesis ala' Hair video.

If you listen closely to the narrator, she refers to the poem through out the whole interpretive dance. My most favorite part was this section of the narration:
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy"



2 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Mark said...

You might also be interested in Carroll's notion of portmanteau words. They are words like slithy, as in "slithy toves", words that combine the sounds or meanings of two words into one. Slithy combines "slimy" and "lithe". Today, we have new portmanteau words all over the place, but particularly in technology, such as "cyborg".

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger lewlew said...

I like portmanteau words. My favorite one at this time is "splendtabulous." It's a blend of splendid, fantastic and fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home